Tuesday, July 14, 2009

No Fun Writing With One Hand

I admit, it's no fun typing with one hand, the left hand to be precise. And if you're a ten-finger-typist like I am, then it's a huge no. I am a writer, so typing is really me, writing, with the key board, which in turn has become my pen. In that case I've learned to be ambidextrous, but only on the keyboard.
Recently I had been forced to function one-handed. Left-handed, actually. It was the worst experience of my writing life. I produced nothing worthy, except, short emails that took hours to complete. Tap, tap, tap, that spells how, then space and then a tedious exercise of rolling the mouse in a series of circular motions before I could position it in line with the text.
Happily, I am working my way back to a ten-finger-typist, albeit a slow one. All this due to two recent surgeries on my right wrist to mend a broken fibrocartilage. Was it painful? Absolutely, beyond imagination. And now the stiff fingers and immobile wrist are gradually working themselves into usefulness through agonising therapy sessions. Soon, my fingers will be flying over the keys, as they once did. Perhaps, a year, said the therapist. Still I am thankful for the progress. Just don't ask me how long it took to complete this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Minima 4 coloum Blogger Template by Beloon-Online.
Simplicity Edited by Ipiet's Template