Friday, August 7, 2009

Silly Science

Where do Socks go When You Can't Find Them?


Silly Science is what I call it. Though kooky it seeks to provide answers to everyday mysteries that occur at your fingertips. It's up to you to believe or disprove it. Do you dare?
So why do socks disappear and where do they go?
No, they don't get stuck under the bed or eaten by the dog or get lost in the shoe closet. They disappear into a miniature black hole created by the dryer. Surprised? So am I. But that's the experts explanation, not mine, so don't jump on my throat. Like you, I am learning, too.
I stumbled upon the wacky explanation in an article by MSNBC Science Editor Alan Boyle. I am not disputing the conclusion, mind you, I just think it's out of this world wild. And can't help being curious about the socks that kept disappearing at my home. Wonder where they are now?
At the end of each laundry day, there would be one side to almost every pair of socks in the house, and many times I ended up wearing two different sides of white socks, rolled down to the ankle, so classmates wouldn't notice. Those wayward socks could not have disappeared into a black hole. We had no washing machine or dryer in the house. My aunt laboured over a scrubbing board to get them clean. Now where in God's name are those darn socks? Under the tub, maybe, or hidden in a black hole among the rust in the bottom of the tub. Hmmmmm...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Minima 4 coloum Blogger Template by Beloon-Online.
Simplicity Edited by Ipiet's Template